- What is MS Teams Webinar
- Schedule an MS Teams Webinar
- Set up a Registration Form
- View and Download Registration Form
- Default Meeting Options
- Useful External Links
MS Teams Meetings generally include a lot of interaction among the participants: discussions, sharing, assigning, and accepting tasks, making plans, maybe coming to a consensus. Webinars, on the other hand, are more controlled, and the participants have clear roles: one or several experts (the presenters) share their ideas or provide training to an audience (the attendees) with added options for Q&A and polls. A key difference between webinars and Teams meetings is that webinars support registration and provide attendee engagement data.
Webinars are not recommended for standard on-line lectures as students should not have to register to attend these. However, they can be useful when setting up larger university-wide online events and online events with a number of external attendees. At this stage of implementation, we do not recommend the use of the Live Events option which is aimed at broadcasting video and meeting content to large online audiences up to 10,000 attendees. If you are interested in setting up a larger on-line event via Teams, please contact your eLearning Adviser to discuss your options.
Step 1: From your Teams Calendar, select the dropdown next to ‘New Meeting’ to choose ‘Webinar’. This part of scheduling outlines the information for your event organisers and speakers.
Step 2: Add event details for event organisers and speakers such as event title, date and time*, required and optional presenters to allow time to preparation before the event starts and the attendees start joining.
*As best practice, schedule the time for your presenters at least 15 mins prior to the event start outlined in the registration form.
Set up the registration form by clicking ‘View Registration Form’ and adding the event details.
- Add own custom brand logo or any image you wish to use as a banner for your registration form.
- Add details for your event such as date and time, details and the guest speakers
- Choose the information you wish to obtain from each person that registers, such as their name, email, or additional options such as industry, organisation or a custom question.
- Copy Registration Link and share with attendees (you can click ‘View in Browser’ if you wish to see how the registration forms looks for your attendees.
It is important to note that a webinar can be set up without a registration form, the settings can be changed from the ‘Require registration’ Tab:
- In order to see the registrations prior the online event, you would need to go back into the calendar event in MS Teams and download the Registration Form. Please note that as the organiser, you would not receive a notification each time someone registers. You would need to check the registrations instead.
- After the webinar, you would have the option to view the attendance and download a report showing a comprehensive summary of the webinar, participants (including guests, roles and) as well as in-meeting activities.
A key difference is the webinar’s default meeting options which are set up for reduced interaction with the participants but can be amended if required.
Both Webinars and Live Events were launched recently by MS Teams, further guidance will be released and updated as required. In the meantime, please see some useful external resources below.
Get started with Teams Webinars (Microsoft guidance including a step by step video guidance how to schedule a webinar)
What are Microsoft Teams Live Events (Microsoft guidance)
Meetings, webinars, and live events (Microsoft guidance)