Should you wish to undertake some analysis of how students are using your Moodle site, you have a number of reports available to you from the Moodle Course Management menu. You can also gather data on student attendance in online webinars and viewing stats for your ReCap (Panopto) recordings. Answers to some of our FAQs below are in this guide:
- Who is engaging with the course, and who is not?
- Can I see a view of usage for a particular activity or resource?
- Is there a way to help students keep track of what they have done?
- When did a student access my site? (e.g. Did a student experience technical problems all morning before the Turnitin deadline, or did they only start trying to upload at 1:59?)
Moodle Reports and Analytics
To find the reports you require click into course management (cog icon in top left of the module). The reports are available under the User Links column.
A general overview of each option is provided below, with guidance in the sections underneath;
- Logs drill into individual student activities.
- Live logs show what is happening on the site in real time.
- Course participation shows how students are engaging with a particular activity
- Activity report is good for identifying students usage of different resources and activities
- Activity completion gives a view of how students are engaging with the entire course
- Course completion shows who has achieved tasks but does need to be enabled at the start of the module and applied to the required activities and resources.