Polling tools enable a lecturer to pose questions to students in class and gather instant feedback on responses. Some of the key uses and benefits of the system include:
- Immediate feedback for the lecturer – the lecturer can monitor understanding and assess whether to focus on specific aspects, slow down the pace of the lecture etc.
- Immediate feedback for students – students can monitor their understanding of key concepts in class.
- Peer instruction through creating opportunities for discussion – participants can be assessed before and after discussion amongst peers to measure learning gain.
- Game based learning- Individual and team competitions can be set up to asses learning.
- Increased engagement and participation in class – responses can be anonymised allowing students who would not normally raise their hands and respond to questions to do so.