Collaborative Partners: How to set up Turnitin submission inboxes – standard, mit circs, resits & deferrals
It is very important that Turnitin assignments have the same settings for all assignments. When students know what to expect, it reduces confusion and stress around deadlines. The streamlined procedure will limit the amount of technical problems, support requests and mitigating circumstances claims.
3-4 inboxes are needed for each assignment:
- 1 inbox for standard submissions up to the deadline, and students who submit late without extensions.
- All students can see this inbox at all times – no groups or restrictions applied.
- Students without approval to submit late will use this inbox, and their work will be highlighted red.
- 1 inbox for students who are authorised to submit late – that is, they have official extensions or mitigating circumstances.
- All mit circs students will have to be put into a group first. When setting up Turnitin, the group will need to be added under Restrict Access. This inbox will only be accessible to students in that group. It is essential to ensure that the group includes all relevant students.
- The due date must be before the post date of the standard assignment, as students can’t submit work after grades have been released to the class.
- Inboxes for resits & deferrals each in the resit section of the moodle page. Deferring students did not make a first submission due to more severe long term circumstances. Resit students often need to include a reflective statement while deferring students don’t.
- All resitters & deferrals will have to be put into groups first. When setting up Turnitin, the groups will need to be added under Restrict Access. This inbox will only be accessible to students in that group. It is essential to ensure that the group includes all relevant students. If there are multiple markers across each of the groups the inbox cannot be anonymised.
- 1x inbox for resitters including resit rubric (generic rubric, includes 10% reflective statement)
- 1x inbox for deferral incl standard module rubric
ADDING STUDENTS TO GROUPS
Click Administration > Users > Groups.
Select the group – in this case it is Authorised Late – Assignment 1.
Click the Add/remove users button.
The enrolled students are shown in the right-hand box.
Select the student you wish to add to the group, then click the ◀Add button.
For courses with many students, you can use the search box underneath the potential members box. When you have finished, click the Back to groups button.